The Red Rods are part of the Montessori teachers training Sensorial Curriculum. It isn’t uncommon vicinity for sensorial materials to isolate one quality, collectively with weight, to assist the child in better know-how their environment. The Red Rods are created from 10 timber rods, differing in a unmarried dimension, length. The smallest rod is 10cm prolonged, and the maximum critical rod is 100cm. Each rod will boom via increments of 10cm in length. Purpose The Red Rods are brought to kids from 2.5 to 6 years of age. This is regularly when they have worked on preliminary sensorial materials, collectively with the Knobbed Cylinders, Pink Tower, and Brown Stairs. The direct cause of the Red Rods is to extend the child’s seen and muscular perception of length. Secondary desires include: developing the child’s coordination of movement, helping with balance and concentration, and imparting the child with the essential language of mathematics. Through repetition with the Red Rods, the child will learn how to discriminate amongst prolonged and short, assemble the rods in a stair formation, and find out disharmony in building the rods incorrectly.
- Invite the child to build up mats for this activity (collecting and unrolling one mat at a time).
- Show the child a manner to maintain the shortest rod thru griping over the top of the centre part of the rod, the use of your right thumb and fingers.
- Slide the rod off the shelves until it’s far absolutely out, and grip the rod collectively in conjunction with your left hand below your right hand.
- Carry the rod to the number one mat. Have the child deliver the very last rods one at a time and vicinity them randomly on the mat.
- Once they may be all assembled have the child stand for your left.
- Carefully choose out up the longest rod and vicinity it horizontally near the once more of the second mat. Tell the child you are looking for a particular rod, the following longest one.
- Chose the second one longest rod and vicinity it at once below the longest rod of the opposite mat, and align the left edges.
- Once it is been placed, check to appearance if it’s far nicely aligned thru sliding your hand along the left edge of the two rods.
- Continue in this manner until all the rods are placed withinside the proper order.
- You will be aware the rods coming closer and closer to you as each rod is placed.
- Invite the child to bring together the Red Rods.
- To help, ask them which one they may be going to start with.
- Only offer guidance if the child desires assistance. Once complete, replace the rods, longest to shortest, once more on the shelf.